8 Best Toddler Helmet That Provide Excellent Head Protection For Cycling
Whether a cycling activity is for competition, exercise or recreation, headgears save bikers from sustaining head injuries due to a bad fall. This is equally true for young cyclists like your children; the best toddler helmet is the perfect safety accessory for bicycle rides in the park or on the neighborhood street pavements.
Toggle For Table Of Content
Parents usually start off with the three-wheel bikes for the small toddler. It is such an exciting thing to see your kid develop hand and feet coordination with the first bike.
Instinctively, children improve their biking skills from mounting, balancing and controlling as they move up to the bigger bikes for training or balancing.
Your toddler will be able to maneuver the bikes, but the bumps and tumbles are all part of the learning experience. However, helmets are a must if you want to take your little one for a spin on the bike.
Best Baby Helmet
As a general safety rule, you are not supposed to take your child of less than 1-year old for a ride on a bike, child seat, trailer or sidecar. Nobody does. Nevertheless, some helmets are made for young toddler heads aged 9 to 12 months. The smallest infant bike helmet fit heads measuring 44 to 49 cm in circumference.
Baby helmets have flat-backs to shelter and insulate the underdeveloped skull. Since the head is very fragile, the helmet is a defense against minor bumps and head shocks not resulting from a fall.
Here is a video on how you can find a fit helmet for your toddler by Nutty Helmet
Helmet for Toddlers
The young riders on the move are in the age range of 1 ½ to 3 years old. If your kid is this age bracket, you have to pick lightweight helmets with small profiles. Small profile helmets fit a 46 to 52 cm head and designed to give toddlers good peripheral vision.
The bolder group of bikers are the preschoolers who are 3 to 5 years of age. With better biking skills from previous years, durable and hard shell helmets are needed. The best bike helmet for kids covers this age group as well as the older, grade-school bikers from 5 to 12 years old. Head sizes are as follows: 48 – 55 cm for preschoolers and 50 – 57 cm for elementary kids.
Toggle For Related Popular Posts
April 14, 2017
Choosing Your Toddler’s Head Gear
Before your toddler gets hooked on the bike craze, it would be wise on your part to gear him up with a bicycle helmet that offers protection, perfect fit, and comfortable feeling.
1. For Safety and Protection
The primary and no-nonsense consideration should always be head safety and protection. There are three essential components that make-up a good helmet:
- Shell – the shells is the main protective part that is made of polycarbonate plastic (ABS), fiberglass or Kevlar fiber
- Liner – the liner reinforces the shell is made of the Expanded Polystyrene (EPS) foam. Its dynamic function is to manage the force of impact in case of tumble, collision or fall
- Strap - the strap, made of polypropylene or nylon, stabilizes the helmet and keeps it in place while riding or during impacts and falls
2. Snuggle Fit
People don’t buy helmets for their fancy and modern looks. For added safety and protection, bicycle head gears you see on store racks were designed for specific purposes. However, for toddlers, attractive designs, vibrant colors matter and of course must be safe too!
Measure your kid’s head circumference and have him try the helmets to find that proper fit. Check if the helmet gives your child good all-around vision. V-shape forms in the face when the straps are fastened.
Most helmets, both for children and adults, are unisex and therefore what matters is the snug and fit. Sometimes buyers look for helmets compatible with long or short hair as well as bald heads.
3. Helmet Safety Standards
Manufacturers of bicycle helmets worldwide are expected to follow and comply with the mandated Bicycle Helmet Standards. Consumer regulating bodies require that all head gears on display have passed rigid tests on impact, stability, and strap or buckle strength.
When you are buying toddler helmets, look out for the sticker labels like CPSC, ASTM, F1447Snell or B-95 among others. The label or seal inside the helmets indicates they are duly certified and meet the international standard.
The Top 3 Best Toddler Helmets
Raskullz Dinosaur Helmet
- The top favorite among boys carries a ferocious dinosaur design. The helmet design comes with glow-in-the-dark, and tomahawk styled plastic spikes are bendable.
- CPSC and ASTM certified.
- Children get a kick out of the 3D design, and many previous buyers commented that the good shock-absorbing EPS inner shell as the needed protection to the head.
- Your kid can practically wear it not just for biking but as a play costume too.
- The helmet designed with aerodynamic cooling and easily adjustable nylon straps. Suitable for outdoor and indoor use.
- Many parent voted this helmet as best toddler helmet for stylish and funny looking.
Rating / Grade
Sharing Is Caring
Like what you read so far? How about help us to spread this AWESOME post to your friend and family? Your shout-out will help to motivate us to create more great posts for you and everyone else. Thanks for your support!
Check out this post for '8 Best Toddler Helmets That Provide Excellent Head Protection For Cycling.'
Bell Youth Segment Jr
- Next on the list for the best toddler bike helmet is the Youth Segment Jr. by Bell. It carries the same safety features of the adult version with the interconnected interior foams reinforcing the hard-shell for better fit and tougher protection.
- Various vibrant colors and unique artwork design option. You can find the right helmet to match with the bike.
- ATSM certified helmet for both biking and skating.
Rating / Grade
Bell Child Frozen Helmets
- The helmet has the feminine touch with the tiara design in front and featuring the Disney Frozen theme. This is the headgear suitable for girls aged 5 to 8 years old and with head sizes from 50 to 54 cm.
- Not only is the stylish design appealing to little girls, but the foam core is also solid. The elastic harness and rear air vents give extra comfort. The reflectors are added safety features for visibility by others at night.
- This dainty helmet is also CPSC certified like all of the helmets made by Bell.
Rating / Grade
Other Worth Considering Best Toddler Helmets
Toggle For Product Review Video
*For more information about NCS (Net Customer Satisfaction) grade, please click here. (Price range: $ = $1 - $10 / $$ = $11 - $25 / $$$ = $26 - $50 / $$$$ = $51 - $75 / $$$$$ = $76 - $100 / $$$$$$ = Above $100)
We go through hundreds of products listing at Amazon and also study the ratings left by previous buyers to find the best children helmet for you. Besides that, we calculate the overall NCS grade because we want to see how happy is the previous buyers with their purchase of the product.
From our finding, we would say that Raskullz and the Bell Youth helmets are the best toddler helmet brands. All their helmets are stylish and have a lot of design and color selection. Also, all their helmets are CPSC and ASTM certified for safety.
Also, Raskullz and Bell score favorably for the ratings as well as the NCS grade. We believe that you would find their helmet a good buy too.